August 5

GRADE 1 WEEK 5 TERM 3 REMOTE LEARNING 2020

GRADE 1 WEEK 5 TERM 3

REMOTE LEARNING 2020

10th August 2020 – 14th August 2020

READ ALONG WITH MRS MENHENNET!

Hello to all my Grade 1 students from Cambridge Primary School and whoever else might be reading this post.

This is week 5 of Term 3 2020 and all my Grade 1 students are remote learning at home!

We are going to be doing a bit of Visual Arts learning around the topic of  colour!

•  To revise the order of the colours of the rainbow.

• To read along with Mrs Menhennet as she reads the blog post aloud.

• To revise the instructions for the Specialists Rich Task.

• For students to learn how to write a comment on my blog.

• I know the order of the colours in the rainbow.

• I can play the audio function  on the blog post and read along with Mrs Menhennet.

• I understand the instructions for the Specialist Rich Task.

• I can write a comment and post it on The Back art Room Blog.

Let’s get started!

In Week 2 I asked you to draw a rainbow scene including the colours of the rainbow in order.

In week 3 I asked you to create a rainbow from found objects.

I have made folders on your grade’s Class Dojo page for you to upload photos of your creations for Week 2 and Week 3. These photos are evidence that you have completed this work.

Here are the Instructions for the Specialists Rich Task.

If you have already completed your Specialists Rich Task you can skip this bit. On the audio file you can press the fast forward button.

This Rich Task will require some thinking and some organising. You will need lots of time to complete it. So the Grade 1 Rich Task should be uploaded to your grade’s ClassDojo portfolio by the end of WEEK 6!

For this Grade 1 Specialists Rich task, you will create a character called ROY.G.BIV.

ROY G BIV needs to have a body.

A part of  ROY.G.BIV’s body must be in RAINBOW ORDER like his name.

ROY.G.BIV’s body also needs to include at least one PATTERN

You need to label ROY.G.BIV’s body  in Italian and English.

What is  ROY.G.BIV’s  name in Italian?

Use digital technology to enhance your rich task. You might use Keynote or another creative app or other digital tools you know how to use. You might photograph or video your rich task as you create it.

What will you use to create this rich task?

In the past, in the art room, my students have created ROY G BIV like this.

This artwork involved  –

• Drawing a large face for ROY G BIV

• Using coloured strips of paper for his hair in ROY G BIV order

He has also been created like this.

This artwork involved  –

• Drawing a LARGE head, neck and shoulders for ROY G BIV to fill the space on the paper. (If I wanted you to draw ROY G BIV really small I would tell you to create your rich task on a tiny post it note!) DRAW BIG!

• Using coloured strips of paper for his hair in ROY G BIV order

• painting different parts of his body in particular colours

• cutting out his mouth and giving him a colourful tongue

In this time of remote learning, as artists,  we are not working in the art room.

In this time of remote learning, as artists, we all have to adapt  and change to creating at home.

So you won’t be able to create your ROY G BIV in exactly the same way that it has been made before.  And that really doesn’t matter. You will all be brilliantly creative artists at home!

So I am giving you  lots of CHOICE with how you create your ROY G BIV.

So perhaps you will draw with oil pastels or pencils or textas or crayons

or paint with a brush

or paint with  sponges

or print with objects

or paint with watered down food colouring

or use play doh

or make your own play doh or salt dough

Salt Dough Recipe

Ingredients

• I cup salt
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 cup hot water

Method

1. Add salt and plain flour to a bowl gradually adding hot water. You might not need all the water!
  2. Mix together until a dough forms. Make sure it isn’t sticky.
  3. Leave your salt dough creations to air dry overnight. Then put your salt dough creations in the oven at 120 degrees Celsius for about 3 hours.
  4. When your salt dough creations are cool you can paint them. If you don’t have gloss paint and you want them to look shiny you can paint them with varnish when the paint is dry. If you don’t have any varnish just paint them with PVA glue. This will also make them nice and shiny.

or use a drawing or painting app on your ipad

or cut plain or patterned paper

or use torn, plain or patterned paper

or scrap cardboard

or stuff out of the laundry basket

or use lego

or make Roy G Biv out of rainbow cupcakes

and what about the found object rainbow from last week?

Perhaps your found object rainbow could be ROY G BIV’s body? You could add more objects to create a head, legs, arms, hands, feet and create a found object ROY G BIV?

wow

Imagine if the artworks below were created in rainbow colours?

So you could use some of these things

or all of these things

or something I haven’t even listed!

I am giving you lots and lots and lots of choice

in how you create your rich task

I am NOT telling you to go out and buy new art materials to use!

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

You need to THINK about what you already have at HOME and HOW you can use it.

Don’t forget to ask permission to pull stuff out of cupboards to use, or to make salt dough, or things like that.

· And, of course, tidy up after you have created!!!

I cannot wait to see your ROY G BIV rich task!

Here is a story for you to enjoy. This is ‘Sky Colour’ by Peter H. Reynolds. He is the same author who wrote. the beautiful picture story book ‘The Dot’ .

READ ALONG WITH MRS MENHENNET!

Your VISUAL ARTS TASK FOR WEEK 5 is to write a comment on my blog about the story.

It is easy to write a comment on my blog. Don’t forget to use capital letters and full stops.

At the end of this blog post you will find a section titled,

LEAVE A COMMENT (or add a comment if nobody else has written one yet!)

Under that is a large box in which you type your comment. It looks like this. You can’t write in this one, Silly. You have to use the box at the bottom of this post.

After you have written your comment there is an anti spam box. The anti spam box is there to prove you are a real person not just a computer bot generating random comments. You need to copy the text from the anti spam box into the other box, just like in the photo below.

Then you type your name into the name box. Don’t forget to tell me which grade you are in.

In the next box you type your email address. If you don’t have an email address then you can ask someone from your family if you can use their email address.

Click on the little square at the bottom and you will get an email when I write the reply to your comment.

Finally click on the button that says POST COMMENT and you will have successfully written a comment.

Congratulations.

You have until the end of week 6 to upload your rich task,

Have fun,

Mrs Menhennet

44 thoughts on “GRADE 1 WEEK 5 TERM 3 REMOTE LEARNING 2020

Hi Grace,
      I’m glad you loved the story. I love it too.
      I have just figured out that Joseph is your brother. Is he a good brother?

1. Ashvath Reddy Alluri, 1F

I loved the story. But it’s not the sky colour ,it’s the sunset.
    She thought about the sky colour in her dream.

Hi Ashvath,
      I love the way Marisol painted the sky.
      She realised that the sky doesn’t always have to be painted blue, because it is not always blue.

2. Claire Ling

I felt relaxed when I watched the video because the sky colour was amazingly pretty.

Dear Claire,
      I’m so happy you found the story relaxing.
      I love all Peter H Reynolds books. He is a great author.

Hi Jordyn,
      I’m very glad you liked the story.
      I hope we get to work in the art room together soon.

Hi Thomas,
      Marisol’s paintings were wonderful.
      I love all Peter H Reynolds books. He is a great author.

3. George Gavrilkoff 1G

The sky can turn different colours.
    My favourite colour of the sky is orange. I can see it at sunset.

Hi George,
      Marisol discovered in the story, that the sky isn’t always blue.
      I also love it when the sky is orange, at sunset or sunrise.
      I hope we get to work in the art room together soon.

4. JON 1D

The story was about a little girl, she loved to paint and draw.
    She drew sky colour. She drew it on the wall.

Hi Jon,
      I love all Peter H Reynolds books. He is a great author.
      The little girl, Marisol, does amazing paintings in the book.
      She discovered the sky can be all sorts of colours, not just blue.

5. Zacharry 1G

I like that story. I want to paint the sky to have the colour pink included in the rainbow

Hi Zacharry,
      I agree with you. When you see a rainbow in the sky you sometimes can see a deep pink at the bottom stripe of the rainbow. I think that shade of pink is called magenta.
      Whoever it was that invented the idea of a character called ROY G BIV to help remember the colours of the rainbow, in order, didn’t include magenta. Or maybe they didn’t see it?
      You and I know that it is there Zacharry!

Hi Lewis,
      I loved the way Marisol created the sky in the book.
      Have you been enjoying my blog posts?
      I hope we get back to the art room soon. I miss my art room and my students! 🙁

6. Jaishnu Thumati. Grade1A

I liked the part when marysa made a new color to the sky for her painting when she didnt had a blue color .

Hi Jaishnu,
      The sky that Marisol painted was just lovely.
      There were so many different colours!
      I hope you are enjoying my blog posts.

Hi Flynn,
      I’m glad you liked the colours.
      The sky that Marisol painted in the story was so many different colours!
      It was so beautiful!

7. Lavinia Nettis 1C

The book was about painting. The little girl on her way home she was always looking outside from the bus window. She was sad because she did not have blue at school. The next monring she was waiting for the bus in the rain and she was happy. When the bus came and dropt her at school she mixt lots of coulers toghether and she made blue!

I really like the book!

Ciao Lavinia,
      I really like this book too.
      Peter H Reynolds is a wonderful author.
      I hope we get to work in the art room together soon.
      I miss my art room. 🙁

Hello Anonymous,
      You didn’t type your name in the name box so I don’t know who you are.
      I think you are in Grade 1 but that is just a guess.

Hi Albie,
      I really like this story too.
      Do you remember when we painted dots together last year?
      I hope we get to work in the art room together again soon,

Hi Alisha,

This page has some reviews of the book.

This page includes a letter from Peter H Reynolds about his book. It also includes ideas for teachers and students about what they can do in response to the book.

This is Peter H Reynolds personal websiter.

If you want me to try and find any more information for you, just ask.

Shell Menhennet

Hi Liam,
      Do you think the book is beautiful?
      If so, I agree with you.
      I think I really like every one of Peter H Reynolds books that I have read.

Hi Logan,
      The sky that Marisol painted in the story was so many different colours!
      And yes, you can paint the sky any colour that you like because there are times when the sky isn’t just blue.

Hi Luis,
      Yes, the sky can be an amazing array of colours and not just blue.
      I love the rain. I especially like listening to the rain on the roof.
      Sometimes I play an app when I go to sleep that plays the sound of rain.
      It really does help me to relax and go to sleep.
      i haven’t played my rain app for ages but I will play it tonight as you have just reminded me of it.
      Thank you for that.

8. Zacharry 1G

Hi Mrs Menhennet how are you
    I just tried to send this and they said there was an error so I’m trying again
    I would like to add to my comment yesterday about wanting to paint the sky to include the colour pink in the rainbow, well I wold also like to paint the sky full of donuts and all the colours so when it rains it rains donuts
    How wonderful and delicious that would be🍩

Dear Zacharry,
      I miss seeing your smiling face!
      I am well. I just wish I was back in the art room where I belong!
      Your idea about the sky raining doughnuts is fabulous.
      If it ever does rain doughnuts I want to be right there with you – with my mouth open!!!
      I will be waiting for a banana custard doughnut to land in my mouth. That is my favourite flavoured doughnut. 🙂 I buy them from Walkers Doughnuts at the Plaza, when we aren’t in lockdown. 🙁
      I hope I see your smiling face soon!
      from mrs Menhennet

Hi Navitha,
      I’m glad you like the story. I love it.
      from mrs Menhennet

Hi Jimmy,
      You are so correct.
      The sky that Marisol painted in the story was so many different colours!
      from mrs Menhennet

Hi Aliya,
      I love these books too.
      I love sharing them with my students in the art room and now I love sharing them online!