July 21

GRADE 2 WEEK 3 TERM 3 REMOTE LEARNING 2020

GRADE 2 WEEK 3 TERM 3

REMOTE LEARNING 2020

(27th July  – 31st July)

READ ALONG WITH MRS MENHENNET!

Hello to all my Grade 2 students from Cambridge Primary School and whoever else might be reading this post.

This is week 3 of Term 3 2020 and all my Grade 2 students are remote learning at home!

We are going to be doing a bit of Visual Arts learning about the English artist David Hockney and his paintings of water and swimming pools!

• For students to explore the artworks of English artist David Hockney.

• For students to experiment and explore drawing  their body moving in water.

• To revise the audio function on my blog post.

• To read along with Mrs Menhennet as she reads the blog post aloud.

• I can view and think about the artworks of David Hockney.

• I can experiment and explore drawing my body moving in water.

• I can play the audio function  on the blog post and read along with Mrs Menhennet.

Let’s get started!

Last week I asked you to draw yourself swimming in water.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 64

I hope you kept last week’s drawing somewhere nice and safe. You will need to submit last week’s rainbow drawing as evidence of your completion of this unit of work when you submit your Specialists Rich Task.

Instructions for the Specialists Rich Task will be forwarded to you soon.

We are going to be drawing soon so you will need some paper,

some pencils,

or crayons,

or textas.

Some people call textas, markers.

I am going to give you a little bit of time to organise yourself.

I will just sit here on my blog and wait for you to collect some pencils and textas or crayons and some paper.

The size of the paper or what sort of paper it is doesn’t really matter.

So I will just wait until you are ready……..

Oh, you are ready already! That was so fast! Well done!

Let’s look again at some of those paintings by David Hockney of swimming bodies in water.

All the swimmers in David Hockney’s paintings above have bent knees and bent arms. Bent knees and bent arms will help your body look like it is moving.

Now let’s look at this drawing.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 54

This is a good first try at a drawing of a body swimming in water. I can see that the water is moving the hair around.

What could this artist do to improve their drawing the next time they draw a body swimming in water?

Yes, they could draw the head and the body in PROPORTION. The head in the coloured drawing below is too big for the body, like the swimmer above.

PROPORTION is a fantastic Visual Arts word that means when things in an artwork look the correct size, compared to each other, then they are in proportion.

What else could the artist change in their drawing of the swimming body to make their drawing look more mature?

Yes, the arms and legs are sticking out straight from the body. This body sort of looks like it is floating in the water. If the artist wants to make the body look like it is swimming they will need to put a bend in the knees and the elbows.

The artist above has put a bend in the arms but the drawing would look even better if the legs were bent at the knees as well. I really like how this artist has drawn the head turned to the side in the water.

If you think of the leg and the arm as looking more like a fat  capital letter L in the water then they will look more like they are swimming.

This artist has drawn a side view of the swimmer with lots of movement in the long hair in the water.  The left arm is curved but not bent. Bent arms and perhaps a bend in just one leg would look better.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 25

This clever artist has drawn the swimmer with their face down in the water before they turn their head to breathe.This drawing makes me feel like I am a seagull flying and looking down at the swimmer in the ocean!

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 23

This swimmer has slightly curved legs and arms but bent   arms would have looked better. We can’t see all of the swimmer’s face as their head is slightly turned. The swimmer’s hair is moving in the water.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 60

This artist has drawn themselves floating on their back, not swimming.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 18

I can see a straight leg kicking action in the swimmer below. The view of the swimmer’s head is from the side. The curved arms would look better with a pointy elbow in each of them. The short hair is flattened on the head in the water.

Grade 3 David Hockney style swimmer painting drawing 42

So this week I would like you to have another go at drawing yourself swimming in water. Have a look at your drawing from last week and try to think of a couple of things you could do to improve your drawing this week.

You can use colour or just grey lead pencil as today we are still practising. It doesn’t really matter as long as your swimming body is nice and large on your paper.

You don’t need to submit your drawing this week.

You will submit your drawings of your swimming body as evidence of your completion of this unit of work when you submit your Specialists Rich Task.

Have fun,

Mrs Menhennet

11 thoughts on “GRADE 2 WEEK 3 TERM 3 REMOTE LEARNING 2020

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Don’t forget to put the date on your drawings and keep them until you are asked to submit them. I am so happy that you are excited about Visual Arts.
      Stay safe and wash your hands,
      Mrs Menhennet

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Hi Ruhi,
      Put the date on your swimming drawings. Save them until you are asked to submit them.
      from Mrs Menhennet

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Hi Gurnaaz,
      I am so happy that you love Visual Arts.
      from Mrs Menhennet

1. Musa

I thought last weeks task was to explore drawing ourselves swimming in water. You didn’t even say anything about rainbow.

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Hi Musa,
      Last week’s and this week’s task are about swimming in water for grade 2.
      If you are looking at my blog post and it is about rainbows then you are on the grade 1 blogpost.
      The title is at the top of the blog post.
      If you use the link on the grade 2 grid for this week it will take you to the correct blog post.
      If you have any more issues then send me another message.
      Stay safe and wash your hands.
      Mrs Menhennet

2. Musa mir

I thought last week’s learning intention was about Drawing ourselves swimming in the water. You didn’t mention anything about rainbows

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Hi again Gurnaaz,
      Are you on the correct blog post?
      See my post below.
      Mrs Menhennet