March 28

WINGS – WHAT LIFTS YOU?

Wings Cambridge Primary School 2019 I always start off the school year with a collaborative activity across all of my grades  usually focusing on drawing/pattern and this year we made paper feathers.

feathers wings 3 what lifts youFirst we looked at Kelsey Montague‘s gorgeous wings from Nashville in Tennessee, USA.

Kelsey Montague wings Nashville Tennessee

Then we looked at feathers and wings that were created by Cassie Stephens and her talented students, again from Nashville, Tennessee.

wings feathers Cassie Stephens

And after that we looked at the feathers and wings from elementaryartfun.blogspot.com

wings feathers elementary art fun

And if that wasn’t enough to get us inspired, we also found that Kelsey Montague had created a pair of wings in Melbourne, which is our capital city. They are at Melbourne Central, which is a shopping centre right in the heart of Melbourne. They are on level 2 next to Plantation Coffee, if you want to go and look at them.

Somebody said to me that they thought Kelsey Montague had done another set of wings at Flinders Street Station but try as I might I couldn’t find an image for those wings.

One of my Grade 6 Art Ambassadors, Amber, asked her Nanna, who was heading into town on Monday, if she could see if she could find Kelsey Montague’s wings at Flinders Street Station, if she had the time, to prove they were actually there. And they are! 🙂 But she didn’t take a photo. 🙁 I love my Art Ambassadors!

So there are two pairs of Kelsey Montague wings in Melbourne. The next time I am travelling through Flinders Street Station I will make sure I take a photo of those wings to share with all the students.

So after all that inspiration this is what the students did to create their feather.

•  chose which sort of paper they would use – plain white, coloured or patterned
  • traced a feather shape from an assortment of cardboard templates
  • added colour to their paper – paint, textas, oil pastels, coloured pencils, watercolour pencils, etc
  • students chose how they would apply their colour to their feather – just a strip of red oil pastel across the middle, sponge cool colours of paint on for an ombre effect, create a rainbow of colour with watercolour pencils over the whole feather, etc
  • students then designed/practised 5 patterns on a small 5 box photocopied strip of paper to get their brains moving from thinking about colour to pattern. Lots of pattern charts/images were available for inspiration
  • added pattern/s onto their feather selecting the material they wished to use after considering how they would get the best contrast so their detailed patterns would really stand out- metallic textas, metallic pencils, black or white fineliners, etc
  • and finally, cut out their feather carefully!

Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019

Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Yes, this is a lot of choice and that is why the feathers are all so different. Some of the students took 3 sessions to complete their feather!

So here are some more wings photos and even a few individual feathers as well as some of the students posing in front of the wings. Over the next week or so I plan on taking all the students photos at the wings.

Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019Wings feathers Cambridge Primary School 2019

And did I mention that the only way I can actually photograph the students at the wings in the main hallway is to open up the hallway window and run outside and stick my head in through the window to take the photo as I can’t stand back far enough to take the photo otherwise.

The students all think this is hilarious!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love it, and so would the students, if you would leave a comment.

4 thoughts on “WINGS – WHAT LIFTS YOU?

1. Jo Holen

Love all the color and artist talent shown in each feather! You must be so proud of your artists!!

2. Shelley Menhennet

Dear Jo,
    Yes I am very proud of my students and they are also very proud of themselves.
    The wings have now been on display for about three weeks and even though lots of students have had their photo tsken and squillions of students and families have looked at them they haven’t benn touched or tampered with in any way. More proof of their pride and their respect for our artwork displays.
    Thanks for your comment,
    Shell Menhennet

3. Mrs Cross

What a stunning art project! Your students must be so proud of what they have created together. So many unique ideas and obvious care and attention to detail – very inspiring!

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Thank you Mrs Cross. It is now getting to the time I need to think about pulling it all down and it is going to kill me! I didn’t think I would love it so much that I don’t want to take it down!
      Thanks for your lovely comment.
      Shell Menhennet