December 9

PETITION TO NAME NEW PLANET GALLIFREY FOR DOCTOR WHO 50th ANNIVERSARY YEAR

I know this is very off topic from what I usually write about but my 16 year old son Sam has set up a petition to name a newly discovered planet GALLIFREY which is the name of Doctor Who’s home planet.

Here is Sam’s reason for setting up the petition.

I really want this planet to be named Gallifrey. Even if it just an honorary name, or a nickname, there really needs to be a Gallifrey out there in the universe. Doctor Who is legendary, award winning, record breaking, and global, and this newly discovered planet deserves something special and supernatural as its name, How better to honor its existence than by dubbing it the home planet of our beloved time travelling alien, The Doctor? Years from now, when I have grandchildren, and I tell them about my favorite show growing up, I want to tell them that we found the planet that The Doctor was from. Do it for the fandom! Please share! and get everyone whovian to sign this petition!

LETS DO THIS! Please share this petition with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, Email etc! Anything to get the message spread out. Recruit as many people as you can! If you have a website put it on that too anything! Copy the link to this page and use the hashtag (#GallifreyFound) THANK YOU!

Here is the link to the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/international-astronomical-union-to-rename-the-newly-discovered-planet-hd-106906-b-to-gallifrey-in-honour-of-doctor-who-and-its-50-years-gallifreyfound

Thanks for reading,

Shell

Tags: , ,

Posted 09/12/2013 by shelleymenhennet in category Doctor Who, Gallifrey, petition

6 thoughts on “PETITION TO NAME NEW PLANET GALLIFREY FOR DOCTOR WHO 50th ANNIVERSARY YEAR

1. Becs0278

You’re son will ALWAYS be remembered for this by Whovians everywhere, even if the suggestion doesn’t pass through. He’s an inspiration to many, so thank you for giving us such a determined, hopefull and plane awesome boy.

2. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Wow! Thank you for your lovely comment.
    I have really enjoyed sharing Doctor Who with Sam who was about 7 years old when Christopher Eccleston hit our TV screen. We drove down to Geelong to watch Day of the Doctor in 3D on the big screen when it aired a few weeks ago – it was fantastic.
    Sam started making his own Doctor Who movies, starring himself as The Doctor, using his action figures, his younger brother and sister, and a tiny webcam on our kitchen bench when he was 8. He now has his own YouTube channel, is the youngest YouTube partner in Australia and wants to become a film editor when he finishes school. It’s been wonderful to journey with him, watching him grow and follow his dreams.
    And you are right, if in the end the planet name is not changed it doesn’t matter as it has been an amazing experience for him to do this!

3. Fandom11.10.9.4

I think your son is most definitely right! There SHOULD be a planet called gallifrey! I am a Whovian myself and have shared this with all my friends and I have started using #GallifreyFound. I have also written about this and put a link to this page on my Doctor who blog. If you would like to visit my blog click this link below. It would really help me as I have nowhere near as many visitors as you!

http://www.thedoctorsdaughter.global2.vic.edu.au

I have had a look around your blog and it is great!

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately the planet did not get named Gallifrey but I still think it was a great idea.