May 2

Grade 3 incised and decorated clay slabs

Last term, yes, in the incredibly hot weather, was when I was working with clay with Grade 3. The Main Art Room was a dustbowl for most of the term as the clay dried out and broke down so quickly but I had to persevere as we can only do clay activities in our Main Art Room. I thought I did pretty well as I only decided I couldn’t face it on one extremely hot afternoon, so that grade drew pictures with the air conditioner and fans on full blast!

The first skill to be learned was how to roll a slab to an even thickness, then we used tools and our fingers to incise into the clay as well as adding extra bits on using slip and correct joining technique. We worked on all these skills over a few weeks and this also gave us time to experiment with the type of picture we wanted to create on our slabs as we packed the clay back into a cube at the end of each session.

I can’t stress enough how valuable it was to make time during each session to all walk around the tables (not touching, of course) and look at what everybody else was doing. The discussion after this was always intense and interesting and lots of children decided to try something new next week for their picture after they had seen what their fellow artists were doing. When I had photographed several of the slabs during these sessions I started to show these images to all the grade 3’s after we had looked at the work from their own group.

Most of the slabs in these photos were practice slabs and didn’t end up getting fired so I’m really glad I photographed them when I could!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Grade 3 incised and decorated clay slabs

1. Anonymous

I’m happy that yuou like the work I’m putting up Chelsea. I just wish I was quickerat putting it on the blog! Have you saeen any of your work yet?
    Mrs Menhennet

2. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Thank you Jessica. I think this clay work is really cool too. Most of the grade 3 children have painted and varnished their clay slabs now and they look fantastic. When I get a chance I will photograph them and upload them too. Thanks for visiting the back art room blog!

3. Jordyn Barrow

dear the back art room teachers,
    it is my first time on the back art room blog and you all did a fantastic job on it.

kind regards
    Jordyn Barrow 3V

1. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

Thanks for your comment Jordyn. I enjoy making thr blog. I just wish I had more time to do it.
      Mrs Menhennet

4. shelleymenhennet (Post author)

I agree Jordyn. They were really wonderful. I hope you enjoyed making them.
    Mrs Menhennet